PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the latest news of the V22 Osprey?
Old 21st Jun 2012, 00:07
SASless

Received 557 Likes on 226 Posts
Lone,

Yes things are improved, modified, and updated.....but aerodynamics remain basically the same.

I still question the performance of the Osprey on a single engine in hot and high conditions less than 1600 feet AGL when in other than airplane mode. I am using the arbitrary figure of 1600 feet as that is the given limit for a safe conversion to Airplane mode following a dual or failure of the remaining engine when in "Helicopter Mode". There is a sliding scale between height AGL and Airspeed I am sure that describes the combinations that determine if a successful conversion to Airplane Mode can be made....and if not successful....the emergency landing is not going to be pretty.

The difference between the 22 and helicopters in that situation is the shady side of that curve is much larger than for helicopters. The 22 is not over powered on one engine when you take it to altitude.

That works for helicopters as well....but it appears more so for the 22.

I don't fly them.....but I have wandered around in a performance chart for the 22 and my impression was that the you have to really high off the ground if slow....in the Helicopter mode.....as the transition requires a real trade of height for airspeed. Stall speed (from my feeble memory.....) is about 110 knots is it?