PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan/ANA incident at NRT
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2012, 22:36
2 Whites 2 Reds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bit of an OTT reaction there Gestapo.

The odd rain shower isn't what we're talking about. A typhoon...IS!

Lets review your previously posted info:

Clue number 1

+/- 20kts windshear
Clue number 2

And the turbulence was huge. Moderate to moderate/severe turbulence REPORTED by 4 airplane before me from 500 ft to touchdown. I observed Moderate/Severe all the way down from 500 ft to touchdown
Clue number 3

[quote]And BTW the winds reported on ground were 220 to 250 at 28 gusting 44 kts. That's a direct crosswind for the runway in use-16R.
And the winds were spot on![QUOTE]

Well that's more than sporting and, given the gust, I'd hand that to the left seat to do if he/she hadn't already taken it off me. But not necessarily a show stopper.

Clue number 4

Airport should have been temporarily closed.
I'm not surprised this happened. Odds were that something like this was inevitably going to happen today.
And the Grand Finale

[QUOTE]Only the best pilots made it to terra firma today before 9 or 10 am local time.[QUOTE]

I won't be dragging this down to a scrap in the mud. But clearly you didn't fly a stable approach...and neither did this chap. We've all wrestled the thing to the ground on gusty rainy days (or in my case, nights). That doesn't take "the best pilots to get down to Terra Firma".

The best pilot's would have been hitting the GA buttons when they saw the ASI going up and down by 20 kts at 500ft!