PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lo Vis Procs LHR
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2002, 19:45
peeteechase

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh dear, I wish I hadn't mentioned goarounds.
Just to clarify to the uninitiated (and possibly the gutter press) goarounds are normally, safe and acceptable manoeuvres that regularly occur in flying operations and are practised on simulator checks. Promulgated goaround procedures are specifically designed to avoid conflict with other traffic eg. takeoffs from the same or a parallel runway. Goarounds can and are, modified by the ATC controller on the day in order to further enhance that separation. Most press reports of landing aircraft coming close to aircraft taking off are total alarmist bullshine!
Now to the serious stuff:

The whole purpose of this thread was to point out that:
1. LVP's can on occasion be uneccessarily conservative (and were last week on one of my flights in my opinion)
2. LVP's at a busy airport cause delays and may cause diversions
3. If the RVR stays within reasonable limits and does not constitute an approach ban then I would suggest the best judge of whether LVP's are necessary or appropriate is the Met observer **in conjunction** with pilot reports.

I have made successful Cat 1 approaches in 600m Ovc/100, so the cloudbase is not the full answer. When visibility/cloudbase deteriorates it usually does so slowly; so guys, why not ask the people who are in the best position to judge the conditions? These days few of us are civil servants and we have to run a safe(no.1) and profitable(no.2) operation n'est ce pas?
Have a Happy New year, PTC