PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Sharjah
Thread: RAF Sharjah
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2012, 14:39
captain_salman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much for the information Mr. Martin, I did not know this fact about the hangar steel... I will surely check them out this weekend towards Al Awir...never did notice much as I travel to Awir most of the times for official work... I presume you must have seen the RAF Sharjah in the 90s! If so, I would love to hear about what you saw it here....because this was the period (from late 80s to mid 90s) when the Mahatta area was neglected ... I could not remember much as I was a child during the mid 90s... what I could remember is there my dad used to pass King Abdul Aziz street (which was RAF's runway) and all I saw was an old faded control tower with broken windows... no display hangar was built back then...only the old fort and control tower along with the hangar (which still exists today) was there....the field was pretty much intact...with wickets and pitch marks for the asians to play Cricket there...it was a site of ruins ... and I am a history enthusiast ...just can't help recalling how this area looked like in its heyday ...