PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go-around after engine failure in light twin
Old 27th Dec 2002, 18:41
formationfoto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Always easy to speculate and criticise a decision after the event. When things go wrong it is often difficult to make the right decisions and this is why minor problems turn into catastrophic disasters. Despite having loads of runway ahead I guess he just felt he had got it wrong and wanted to give it another go. In the cool clear air of sitting in front of a computer screen I would opt to land and take an overrun unless there was a sheer cliff ahead of me (or a major highway).

Only flown Cessna 310 and 340 and Seneca. Had one engine failure to date and flew on to next airfield to land declaring dead engine but not calling mayday.

The Cessna 310 would want me to put it on the ground ASAP in the case of failure of one power unit. In feathered condition the climb is very S L O W.

Did an airtest on it once and the feathering linkage stuck so had to fly around for an hour trying to get it right (assumed it was iced up). In the end went for feathered engine approach into our 800 mtr strip. Not much room to get it wrong and I don't think a low go around would have been good news.

I would rather take the certainty of almost right and safe than maybe better or maybe worse but the voice inside your head says "I can do it better next time".