PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - plane crash in Lagos Nigeria
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2012, 11:13
henra

Received 105 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by lomapaseo
I agree that most (but not all) fuel contamination issues will be annunciated before the engines quit entirely. One exception that comes to mind is where the fuel contamination is not filterable and does not manifest itself until after it passes through the filters.
I'm also having some difficulties imagining what kind of contamination would manifest itself only when the tank is almost empty.
Most (I would have said all but I'm not sure I'm missing something) non-combustible liquids tend to be rather high density, i.e. they would sink to the bottom. As some already pointed out that would cause trouble rather at the beginning than at the end of the leg. Moreover I would rather expect problems when high EPR is required, i.e. at take off. During approach even a degraded fuel quality should still be able to provide sufficient combustion, maybe requiring a somewhat higher fuel flow. Jet engines are generally quite tolerant with regard to what they are fed. I can see clogged filters killing off a jet engine, however most would still run happily on salad oil or other low calorific value fuel albeit producing less thrust.

So we are looking for something that floats on top of Jet A1, i.e. is of lower density, does not burn or (more likely) is able to clog the filters.
Wondering what type of substance we are looking for (apart from fire extinguisher foam )?
Any ideas anyone?

Have there been previous cases where fuel contamination caused jet engines of an airliner to quit during approach / landing? I really don't remember such a case but that doesn't mean they didn't exist.

Edit: Thanks @lomapaseo, I should have excluded BA038 from my last statement. That was after a intercontinental flight at high altitude and very low temperatures.
@Lonewolf: Now that you point me to it...

Last edited by henra; 20th Jun 2012 at 15:21.