PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Starting FAA-JAA Conversion: Any advice welcome
Old 20th Jun 2012, 10:58
Skymaster15L

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headspinner: State of License Issue

Fellow members; hello again

I've done a google and forum search on the boards, but cannot seem to find any solid information regarding the EASA "State of License Issue" stipulation pertinent to my situation. Per my previous post(s) you will find that I am in the process of starting conversion of my FAA CPL ME/IR to EASA ATPL. I am a Romanian national but so far I am planning to complete the ATPL theory and flying parts integrally in the UK. Regarding this State of License issue, here are some questions that I need to clarify:

1) From what I've understood so far, the country in which I do my initial Class One Medical becomes state of license issue. Is that correct?

2) If I then choose to do part (or all of my flight training) in another EASA member state after passing the UK-sat ATPL theory tests, will this not be possible unless I change my state of license issue by transferring medical records to that state? Or will there also be an issue that by having UK-issued ATPL scores, my remaining training towards the fATPL will be bound to UK locations only, for completion?

3) If I do choose to do everything in the UK like I plan, what will happen if I then proceed to complete a type rating in another state I plan to work in?

According to EASA " All EASA licences issued to an individual must be from the same EASA Member State, which must be the State that holds the medical records for that individual"

Also "Under the new EASA regulations the licences held by an individual can only be administered by one Competent Authority, which hold the aeromedical records of the pilot in accordance with Part-MED...Whenever a pilot completes a licensing Skill Test, the examiner must also have the same State of Licence issue as the candidate"

Therefore, should I sing up for a type rating for the purpose of employment for a carrier in any other EU country, will I then have to either change state of license issue by record transfer, or make sure the TR flight test is administered by a UK CAA examiner and only then be ok to proceed for the TR?

4)If I do need to change state of issue, must I be a resident of that country, and does that also mean having to be re-issued new certificates from that country's CAA all over again?

Your experiences are very valuable and welcome; I plan on scheduling my medical very soon so I need to know I've researched as much as possible.
Thank you