PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Barry Hempel Inquest
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2012, 02:08
in-cog-nito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's like 'there is never a cop when you need one'. They can't be everywhere, everytime. They took his medical/licence off him, what more can they do.
In accidents such as these, it intrigues me as to the number of enablers: those who had influence as individuals to possibly have prevented the accident, but chose instead to tolerate, and thus endorse, the activities.
As I was once told by a Police investigator. "You can complain about people breaking the law all you like. But until you are prepared to go on record, we can't do a thing!"

I reckon it would be fair to say that part of the reason why nobody wants to speak up is FEAR!

Fear of being branded and being known by all to their peers as a dobber. Being known as a dobber, the individaul then believes this might have an impact on any future job prospects.

Fear of retaliation by their employers as we have seen with the Jetstar pilot that was sacked when he spoke up.

And...

Fear of retaliation by the company the allegations were made against. This has happened to me in the past. This included TIT-FOR-TAT bull**** false incident reports and threats of physical violence, even towards the business owners children.
We were even threaten by CASA. Saying that we were liable to be charged with peverting the cause of justice for withholding infomation!
I was also been approached by CASA about another pilot who was known to them. Told him to talk to the FOIs in the state where he was based. Also told the FOI if from what was being said by many was true, and you can somehow stop him, you will probably save a life. One year later he and his passenger were dead and I'm reading an article in the paper about how CASA knew he was dodgy.

An instructor at a reputable school at MB spoke up about poor airmanship displayed by the instructors of another school. Most others on the airport agreed with him and said, but he still had a target on his back because of it. A few months later two of the schools aircraft had a collision resulting in a death. Then they blamed ATC.

It is not only very sad for Ian's family and friends. I couldn't imagine the grief that Barry's family are going through. And for those who knew and did nothing to prevent this, you now have to live with the guilt too!

In-cog.

For those who are still after me from something that happen 10 years ago. Get over it, let it go, move on!

Last edited by in-cog-nito; 20th Jun 2012 at 02:10.