PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2012, 23:16
Danny42C

savimosh01, 

We seem to be unravelling the mystery at last! There's not much more to be said; I'll just add a few comments to clear the air, dot the i's and cross the t's.

I'm very glad to hear that Reg Duncan lived a full life to the end, I remember him well as a cheerful and very popular friend on "A" Flight. I am sorry for Tony Davies and his gunner "Jackie" Robertson. Are we sure he was a gunner? My man was a nav: P/O "Robbie" Robertson, I think we may have two different people.

Coincidentally, "A" Flight had a P/O George Davies (Davis?) RAFVR, also a pilot.
I never knew the OTU at Peshawar (152 - didn't know the number), took RCAF (and RAF) people in, thought only IAF were trained there.

I never knew the early history of "Spunky"; I was always a bit doubtful about the "stray" theory. The rabies danger made it very unwise to adopt a "pi" pup, however cuddly he might look. So that was the story Reg told - just like him, to conceal a truth which might upset a hearer (and himself), without actually telling a lie.

I would have been on the phone to Peter Smith the moment the book appeared! As Mark Twain (?) put it: "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated!" So he had a pile of unsold books? Stick an amendment slip in! What's the problem?

I still cannot grasp how a Squadron can have casualties, bury them, and then let the wrong names get out to the rest of the RAF. Yet that is what seems to have happened.

S/Ldr N. Prasad was the C.O. of 8 (IAF) Sqdn when I joined them on 18 Nov '43. The move to Double Moorings was on 12 Dec '43. S/Ldr Ira Sutherland, RNZAF, first signs my log as C.O. on 29 Feb '44 - he may have taken over earlier in the month. (I had been hors de combat since the 24th).

On 17 Dec '43 I went to THAUNGDARA in a box of six. Don't remember ever flying in a 12 again.

Now I think we can put it all to rest

I was very sorry to hear that "Topper's" son has also passed away. How old it makes me feel.

Regards,

Danny.