PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - plane crash in Lagos Nigeria
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2012, 20:54
Lonewolf_50

Received 453 Likes on 285 Posts
loma, I am not convinced that THISDAY coverage is up to scratch.
Besides, THISDAY learnt that such contaminated fuel that could kill two engines of an aircraft could not be served by modern browser, used by oil marketers to feed aircraft because it has its in-built filtration system.
I find this claim to be vague and overly optimistic. One can indeed have that equipment and either keep it in such poor repair or make other errors that bad fuel can get into the aircraft. (But then, did a maintainer take a fuel sample before takeoff? There's another potential hole in the cheese if that was gun decked).

"If bad fuel caused this it means the fuel is so contaminated that it can be felt and you cannot get such fuel certified. The Jet A1 must be a mixture of diesel and conveyed in drums because any of the modern browsers or refuelling equipment cannot move it to the aircraft with the modern filtration as it is today," another pilot told THISDAY.
I do not share the optimism of the above statement, in re "it can't happen because of this." Sorry. Human error and sloppiness are still risks to the system.

Last December, the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) dismissed the allegation that some fuel marketers sell DPK (kerosene) as Jet A1 (aviation fuel), noting that it had in place stringent measures, which fuel marketers comply with to supply the product.
Which of course are always followed. Sure.
The Director -General of NCAA, Dr Harold Demuren, had said: "I want to put your mind at rest that aviation is safe and secured. But let me say this; I can assure the public that there is no danger in all our flight operations and we will keep it that way. We have stringent measures put in place before aviation fuel can get into the aircraft; and we don't start from the airport. It starts from the refineries because it is a procedural thing. Nobody can import any fuel here without the Directorate of Petroleum Resources (DPR). There are lots of certifications and processes."
And of course, those are infallible.

NOT!

My skepticism isn't just toward Nigeria ... plenty of other places where a slip can lead to bad fuel.

I appreciate what the official is doing, however, which is trying to avoid loss of confidence in air travel. He's in a tough position.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 19th Jun 2012 at 20:57.