PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2012, 19:41
AlphaZuluRomeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jcjeant, re: your #1339

I'm happy we agreed on the existence of the procedure.
Indeed, we can safely assume that all speed indications were false on AF447.
On the other hand, the condition for "doing nothing" is :
Si les informations erronées de vitesse ou d'altitude n'affectent pas la sécurité du vol (trajectoire stabilisée)
If the incorrect informations of speed or altitude do not affect the safe conduct of the flight (stabilized flight path)

One can argue that, coming from an A/P ON (in cruise) situation, the path was stable enough to skip the memory items. Apparently, that's the position of Mr Rosay (perhaps with his employer's interests in mind, too).

My position remains unchanged:
1/ I read the condition as "if you don't know what to set, then memory items for the time needed to pull the QRH"
2/ but even a crew which won't have the same understanding as Mr Rosay won't put its aircraft at risk by following the 5°/CLB memory items (re: excellent HN39's graphs )
3/ given all the previous discussions, for a safer world, the "if" condition in the procedure should be clarified (perhaps it's already done, I hope so)
4/ all of this is barely related to AF447, as this crew didn't follow one (do nothing) or the other (5° and CLB) possibility.