PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 19th Jun 2012, 11:46
Iver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jibba Jabba,

Thank you for the update. That makes sense, although I have heard (no firsthand knowledge) that several 777 pilots have turned down the fleet transfer (unlike many Air India pilots who cannot wait to dump their 777s). Not sure if that is due to training bond issues, pay or they really love the 777 and it's route system. For example, I have heard some 777 pilots from South America want to remain on that fleet because it serves their home countries of Brasil and Argentina. So, I could imagine a scenario with an experienced widebody Boeing newhire could slip by I suppose. Who knows?

60 potential airframes is a lot of growth and a lot of new destinations or city pairs if the 777s stick to many of their current routes. With a new 787 arriving at QR every 3.5 weeks starting in 2013 (if Boeing can increase from current production levels as it claims) I would think it would be a highly desirable fleet for Qatari pilots so long as they can stomach the training bond. Not that the work level would improve much as all of the fleets work hard - but the 787 fleet should offer great growth potential.

I have also heard rumours that the 787 will be staffed by many current A320 pilots - is this still likely? Can anyone at QR who has "seniority" and fulfilled their training bond commitment bid/request the 787 or any other desired fleet? How does that process work in terms of allocating tenured pilots to different fleets? For example, if a tenured A320 FO wishes to move to the 787 or A330, can he just bid that fleet (assuming no training bond obligation remaining on the A320) and wait for an opening like they do at Western airlines or do pilots get assigned specific fleets based on need?

Cheers

Last edited by Iver; 19th Jun 2012 at 12:40.