PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 NG Descent profiles
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2002, 13:35
dvt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I program the VNAV descent page for .79/300kts. I display the VNAV descent page and keep an eye on 4R, which displays V/S required to make what's displayed in 3R.

Simple technique. Comfortable, elegant and in control. When the V/S required reads 2000'/min....I ask ATC for descent clearance. This is generally 20-40 miles from top of descent point T/D, depending on winds. No wind results in a V/B vertical bearing of approximately 2.7 degrees. Result is a part-throttle descent. No brainer.

It can be tough to slow down and get down in an NG. I find the speedbrakes to be ineffective in all phases of flight and generally ARM them before descent and rarely use them until landing. The best way to slow down, get down is to level off. Much more effective than speedbrakes. Just go V/S = 0, then when lyour within 10 kts of your speed, hit level change. Elegant and effective.

I'll only use VNAV for climbs, approaches or complex SIDS. Keeping an eye on 4R gives you performance that's as good as VNAV without the extra degree of separtion caused by automation. You actually feel like your in charge and not the computer.