PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Underslung Load 'Incidents'
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2012, 09:32
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Just for time reference, I was probably the last non-aircrew badged guy to do the crewman course at TH and even then I was only allowed to do it piecemeal – boss didn’t agree but CI very enthusiast , as was I! I subsequently did the last SAR ever with a Sycamore in UK, helped bring out the last patrol from the Borneo jungle when Confrontation finished and logged quite a bit of time in HK – including a night GCA to Kai Tak from medium level at the end of a casevac: this last episode clogged up the approach and led to a couple of very expensive diversions to Manila!

As a nervous and callow youth, I was very much aware of the opportunity for dropping a clanger with loads.

I had a crib sheet on which was written the gross weight in pounds of the many common items carried eg: tin boxes of 7.62mm both loose and belted and a range of other items which the Army called ‘natures’ – please don’t ask why ‘cause I don’t know. If I was presented with a pre-netted load for USL, I would count the number of items as best I could and compare with my crib sheet. Occasionally, I’d get presented with some documentation prepared by the Army. If so I also compared quantities offered and weights stated – surprising how often one or t’other was wrong.

Depending where the load was coming from and what it comprised, I’d ask where the scales were located on which the load was prepared and occasionally asked for items to be weighed in my presence.

If the there were numerous loads. I’d note their weights and then discuss the order of lift with the pilot and what he calculated his fuel states would be, so that the pickup sequence could be agreed and I was forewarned as to when he wanted to refuel and how much he wanted – getting the Zwicky pump to work is another Thread altogether and we needn’t bother with it here! Very occasionally, the load would be weighed on the hoof – so to speak. That is, it would be hooked up and then the pilot would see what the fuel flow was like when he tried to lift it.

This seemed to work well and there were never too many problems. I took the view that the pilot was my mate and I wasn’t going to be responsible for any cockups whilst I was supervising the loads. A chap I trained with, accepted a load of ammunition as offered by the Army and loaded it into the back of a Beverley. The aircraft took all 6600 feet of the runway at Labuan to get airborne and as it couldn’t climb above about 7000 feet, it flew all the way to Tawau by going round the coast. Prior to landing the captain briefed for a heavyweight landing and after touchdown had the load weighed. It put the aircraft weight at take-off as 7000 lbs over the max a.u.w. for the Beverly and remember this is in a hot climate.

I was also a bit fussy about the nets being used. If I could, I always looked at nets being returned or those awaiting loads to see that the net was in a good condition/state of repair. I also looked particularly at the load bearing parts of the nets and kept a careful eye on the underslung fixtures etc on the aircraft – this is all Whirlwind 10 by the way (jet engined S55, for non Brits).

Standing underneath a single engined aircraft whilst hooking a load on was something I never really got used to – always a certain tightening of the muscles! Funnily enough, spent many an afternoon being winched out of the warm waters of Clearwater Bay Hong Kong but never had the same sensation that if the donk stopped a couple of tons of Whirlwind was going to crack me over the head.

So after this long winded diatribe, what are my points re USLs.

First, careful preparation. Know the capabilities of the aircraft and be absolutely certain that you and anybody else working with you knows exactly what they’re doing.

Second, never rush the brief and make sure everybody knows the procedures for dealing with the unexpected/emergency etc.

Three, make sure the load has been placed in the most appropriate container/ net or whatever. Also, is it correctly rigged for flight eg are there any drogues.

Four, check the load is properly secured in the container/net etc. Confirm weights and dimensions are in limits and make sure the pilot knows what he’s getting and understands any peculiarities with the load such as handling during acceleration/deceleration. It’s a bit alarming when the load overtakes one on final approach!

Five, is the aircraft routed with an eye on safety, in case it becomes necessary to get rid of the USL.

There are probably several other points but these will do for now.

Old Duffer