PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Underslung Load 'Incidents'
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2012, 22:29
Milarity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The monthly re-supply of Mt Alice was done by MV St Brandon anchoring in Albermarle Waters and a Chinook lifting the full Iso containers off the ship and up the hill. It was an interesting diversion from the usual day job, so I stood and watched and took a few photos.

There were about half-a-dozen containers parked in a row with an empty slot about half way along. I have a photo of the underslung container being slowly moved into position in the empty slot, but it is twisted out of alignment. A rope had been attached to one corner of the Iso so that the ground handlers could manoeuvre it into position. The photo shows the container to be about 6 feet off the ground and the handler heaving on the rope, heels dug in and leaning at 45 deg away from the load.

My next photo shows the container straightening up, now only 3 feet off the ground, at the exact moment the ground handler's feet slipped on the wet grass and he shot feet first under the descending load. Fortunately, it still needed to rotate another 20 deg to line up, so there was enough time for the handler to execute a quick half role and engage emergency scramble mode. I have never seen such a white face before or since. The poor sod was seriously shaken by how close a call he had experienced.