PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA - lost license - advice please?
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2002, 11:10
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA - lost license - advice please?

Hi,

I'm after some advice from anyone who's familiar with the inner workings of the FAA and US Imigration as to how to best handle this situation:

Around a year ago, I visited the US to do some flying. I was issued with two FAA licenses: one based on my UK (JAR) PPL, and I also got a student license which I used for solo night flying (since my UK license, at the time, didn't allow night-flying). I still have my student license, but, despite turning my entire house upside-down, I can't find my license based on my foreign license.

Although it's a long way off, and I don't have any definite plans yet, I'm considering returning to the US to get my JAR CPL towards the end of 2003, about 9 or 10 months from now.

According to the FAA website, I can get a replacement license. I need to send them a downloadable form (no problem), and tell them my license number (which is a problem - their website allows me to search for myself, and I've found all my details, including details of both my licenses - but no license numbers). I also need to send a cheque for a small amount - the money isn't a problem but getting a cheque written out in US Dollars may be.

The alternative is to get a new license. Since I will need a Visa for my most-probable next flying trip to the US anyway (because I intend to undergo training), would it be simpler to get a new license at the same time?

Or can I survive without a license at all? All the flying for the CPL (as far as I know) is dual - so I would be flying on an instructor's license anyway. Can I do a JAR CPL course in the US without an FAA license?

Any ideas would be welcomed!

FFF
--------------