PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Historical RAF Uniform Question
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2012, 20:45
Old Bricks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Slight thread drift, but the stories of crew-neck vs v-neck sweaters, brought to mind how rules on clothing changed fairly arbitrarily. In 1970, as a senior entry flight cadet at Cranwell, we were used to the rule that you either wore a suit in the Mess or a jacket and tie at weekends. With the advent of the first GEs, there was severe whinging by them, as unreformed student-types, that a jacket and tie at weekends was definitely OTT. A notice appeared from the PMC that from the following Saturday, a v-neck sweater over shirt and tie would be acceptable at weekends until 1900 hrs. Overwhelmed with excitement, and with Trenchard doing barrel-rolls in his grave, I made a special trip to M&S in Grantham to buy a sweater. Come Sat lunchtime, resplendent in the new kit, I strolled down to the dining room, only to be stopped at the door by the FS who said "Where do you think you are going dressed like that?" Me: "It's OK, FS, the rules have changed." FS: "The new rules only apply to officers (ie GEs), and you ain't one, so f*** off and get changed into a jacket". End of democracy. SNAFU.