PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Starting FAA-JAA Conversion: Any advice welcome
Old 18th Jun 2012, 13:11
Skymaster15L

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting FAA-JAA Conversion: Any advice welcome

Greetings fellow members!
Before starting my first post, allow me to say it is wonderful to be part of this constructive online community. I have lurked on PPrune quite a few times before , in an effort to educate myself and address pivotal decision making moments I've occasionally encountered throughout the formation of my flight training career so far.

As an FAA CPL ME/IR &CFI certificate holder, i will be shortly embarking on the conversion journey to JAA frozen ATPL status, however, I will be doing it all from withing the EU, rather than with a flight school within the US. Personal circumstances have dictated relocation for me back within the EU (of which I am a citizen) so I figured I'd make my presence count for something else while here.

I am considering completing my training within the UK, and from what I've researched, OAA and Bristol.gs are seem to be 2 very good options. What has been found to be the general consenus in terms of customer feedback/reviews between the two? Does anyone know of any other FTOs in the UK worth considering (for the ATPL theory at least) that I haven't heard of?
Also since both centers offer distance in addition to classroom learning, I would like some input from those of you who have any experience with the ATPL examinations, as to which you recommend more (assuming budget is not necesarilly a limiting factor)?

Is there, let's say, a clear benefit that makes a night and day type difference, to undergoing the full classroom instruction program vs distance learning? Or if one is capable of pacing himself at home and generally capable of high information retention, is it generally advised to save those thousands of pounds difference for the higher flight training costs, tests, and simulator MCC courses I would need to complete later on?

Now regarding the flying bit, since neither OAA or Bristol offer any flight training packages for the conversion process, what are some flight schools in the UK that I could approach for this, once I have the theoretical examinations out of the way? Since I would also need an initial UK class one medical, is that a pretty straightforward process (other than being more rigorous than an FAA 1st Class) or does it take a few days to issue?

Lastly, without trying to offend anyone, but in trying to place a factual base (if any) to rumors I've heard over time, is there really an unwritten rule stating that certain EU countries' licenses are better/more sought after than others? I have considered a few other places more inland in continental Europe (Greece, Slovenia, Romania), but I am a bit hesitant ( as would be all) about spending a great sum of money on something "looked down upon" out of a popular belief I am not even aware of. For the moment being at least, I am settling on the UK due to the pure fact that a lack of ridiculous bureaucracy and a local language I understand would accommodate me in completing my training.

I would be very grateful for any additional insight and advice anyone has for me regarding all these topics mentioned, as I really need to make a decision as informed as possible on this. Already being $100,000 down, and with family helping pay part of the training, there is an element of pressure at play too.

Thank you all for you time