PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Historical RAF Uniform Question
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2012, 12:29
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sinker, re-officers shirts, when the new colour came in in '74 an enterprising Irishman visited all the messes offering us then new pattern shirts the same as the MOD was ordering in bulk for stores.

What we didn't know was that he was front-loading his production line. He met our orders and true to his word we got them, at higher cost, before they arrived in stores. We simply got the first batch off the production line.

As for cuffs being different that could be down to the MOD placing more than one contract and not ensuring the details were properly sorted.

An example of MOD contracts, or rather Air Ministry ones, was the cold weather gloves much prized by tanker drivers (not airframe ones). They were soft leather with the liner sewn in to the leather but different colours. For some reason they had been separately procured as gaunlets, left and gaunlets, right.

Little wonder that the RAF never, in all my time, had a uniform the same between two or more individuals.