PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 NG Descent profiles
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2002, 08:49
Dehavillanddriver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
50 CAL -

I use descend now at about 20 nm to run to the descent point.

I also put a QNH of about 8 hPa higher than the ATIS. This has the speed sitting at about 7-8 knots below bug (in path). This gives you the option of going to speed or lvl chg to increase the ROD (it will accelerate to pickup that 7-8 knots thus increasing ROD).

I have found that this works really well and I only very rarely have an overspeed disconnect.

many guys use speed rather than path and forget to monitor the vertical restrictions on STARS, and get embarrased at the last minute....

PS I like the idea about using the metres button for a quick calculation of track miles to get down..good idea Flaps one!

Spermbank - I am not a fan of amending the vertical restrictions by 500' as you suggest. It works if you are paying attention, but I have seen a couple of people put in 200 ft below the restriction at BEROW when they are going straight in 16 in SYD - DOH!

I am also not a fan of deleting altitude restrictions (without executing) just to see where the aerroplane will be vertically - I prefer to use the fix page and the ABM LSK, which gives you a height crossing without risking being distracted and executing the delete...

And while I am at it - we get a lot of RTA's with a 250 on descent beyond the RTA waypoint. I stick in the RTA and then have a look at the crossing height at that waypoint. I then 250 below that altitude in the descent page. That will allow the RTA to be accomplished whilst still accounting for the 250 speed beyond the RTA waypoint...