PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How Far & Where To?
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2002, 08:09
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPL/IR

PPL/IR?

Now that is a serious aspiration indeed.

I have been flying for 27 years, never had a night rating and my IMC lapsed with my AFI 20 years ago.

If you want to fly for the sheer thrill of it - that involves looking out of the windows. Also - why let your passengers sit there bored stiff in cloud watching you demonstrating your 'proper pilot' skills with all the bells and whistles?

If they are non-pilots they are unlikely to enjoy any of it and may find the whole thing scary and nauseating.

At least in a Boeing it is much safer and they can watch a film too!

I fly into France quite regularly - further afield occasionaly (Eire, Sweden etc.) - and have a simple rule. 'Never fly with anybody who has to get back by a certain day'.

If they come with me, they either fly when the weather is good or expect to go home in a jet if the weather forecast for the return is not looking good.

The PPL/IR is a wonderful achievement. However, just think about the people who you expect to fly with you.

If you want to use the aircraft as a simple A-B machine in bad weather, you also rule out all the nice little airfields too.

The percentage of PPLs who hold an IR is relatively small. Ask yourself why.

I would agree however that the IMC should not be used as a licence to fly in poor weather - it merely teaches you the basic skills required to get back on the ground if you encounter unexpected/ non-forecast weather.

'If you have time to spare - go by air'.

'If there is a doubt, there can be no doubt'.

These phrases have kept me, a mere hobby pilot, alive thus far!

HP