PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Underslung Load 'Incidents'
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2012, 02:02
eagle 86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mid seventies I'm a QHI on a basic training squadron with a student in the USL (44 gallon drum full of concrete weighing around 1,800lbs) outlying field. Other helo in circuit is a mutual crew captained by a very experienced Mirage fighter pilot undergoing helo conversion. In the back of his helo is a very experienced war veteran crewman. I'm sitting on ground observing him on downwind. I note where there should be a load attached to his helo there isn't. I call him up to advise that he has lost his load somewhere. His reply - no it's OK. I rub my eyes and continue to debrief my student. When knuck is on base I again alert him that he has no load - again - no it's OK! Rapid rub of my eyes and thinking of appointment with eye doctor he is now on short final to drop zone. My transmission is "xxxxx(name deleted as he is now a very senior pilot with a well respected EMS operation!) I want you to listen to me carefully YOU DO NOT HAVE AN EXTERNAL LOAD CONNECTED TO YOUR AIRCRAFT!! Reply "Oh ****e". Load had dropped off on crosswind. VEC, laying on belly in back, bored ****eless after endless student USL sorties was looking at red/green lights on underside of helo showing green indicating hook closed SAFE. Unfortunately he didn't notice there was no strop attached!!
You can tell a knuck by his big watch and small d1ck but you can't tell him much!!
GAGS
E86