PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2012, 23:50
Linktrained

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NU or ND

When giving "Joyrides" ( pleasure flights ) my first flying job, I used to be asked to "Loop-the-loop" by bolder holiday makers. No-one asked for a Bunt, perhaps they did not know the word. If ever I was slightly harsh in putting the nose down, there would be squeals - never if I pulled the nose up by the same degree. ( I was not cleared for aerobatic flights by my employer and neither was the aircraft. It was a very new Licence - precious to me !)

I believe that around 1916, Frederick Lindemann had asked a number of Royal Flying Corps and Royal Naval Air Service pilot trainees, who had crashed, but were now in hospital being mended after crashes ( many aircraft of that era broke up on hitting the ground). A number reported that they had stalled and /or spun whilst holding back on the joystick as hard as they could, to avoid hitting the ground...

Does anyone know the logic used by the makers of lifts (Elevators) to control the rates of acceleration both up and down, particularly in very tall buildings ? ( I would expect that the rate going down might be more gradual than going up.)