PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 17th Jun 2012, 17:30
Iver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will Qatar continue to need pilots? Sounds like it. Just look at the projected 787 fleet ramp up. Although plans could always change, Qatar is supposed to receive its first 5 787 through the end of this year - I believe the first will enter commercial service in September. As of 2013, Qatar is scheduled to receive one new 787 ever 3.5 weeks for the next 4 years... Not too bad in terms of growth opportunities for pilots.

So, for the PIA pilot with 747-200/300 experience, your widebody experience could lead to offers on the 777 or 787 fleets down the road if you secure an interview and get hired. I would think joining the 787 fleet early in its growth cycle could help with potential upgrade if you have the hours/experience. Timing is always important - your mate with 737 experience probably got hired at a good time. Sounds like having Boeing experience helps with a Boeing fleet selection vs. Airbus (not always but seems to be a trend from conversations I have had with some recent successful applicants). Widebody experience also helps with fleet selection choices.

Obviously the interview, hiring and eventual training backlogs (and the frustrating apparent lack of communication with applicants ) do not help in your evaluation. Qatar does not seem to be a good communicator - the HR department could use some fresh customer service training and better organisational skills...

Last edited by Iver; 17th Jun 2012 at 18:47.