PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Underslung Load 'Incidents'
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2012, 17:18
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
On 24 April 2006, Shortshaft posted:
Wessex (RN) Drops Whirlwind (RAF)?

I once saw wreckage in the scrub behind the beach in Tai Long Wan, New Territories, Hong Kong, which was alleged to be the remains of a RAF Whirlwind that had been dropped by a RN Wessex.

The story went that the Whirlwind had malfunctioned and a Wessex from a passing RN vessel was called into return the Whirlwind, under slung, to Kai Tak. Unfortunately the two helicopters parted company during the flight.

Does anyone remember such an event? Did it really take place? Probably during the late 60s.

Nigel Osborn replied

Not in my time, chief. But what RN pilot wouldn't want to drop a RAF helicopter?
With a 4000 lb limit, I would be surprised if the Whirlwind was stripped down to that weight.
The fact is the event did take place, in 1968, after a 28 Squadron Whirlwind went down in rough terrain in the New Territories (engine failure?) The aircraft was assessed as Cat 3, but was unrecoverable by land, so the Navy kindly offered to pick it up and bring it back to Kai Tak , presumably after stripping it down as far as possible. As Shortshaft surmised, the aircraft was dropped from a great height, and Cat 3 became Cat 5! Thanks Navy!

You want to try Old Duffer, who I think has written a history of 28 squadron. He will certainly know more details than I do.