PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Remote Area Survival
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2002, 01:32
High Altitude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A 357 Magnum to survive if you are unlucky enough to come down in that croc infested swamp...

But seriously the above advice sounds solid. VHF comms are pretty good these days so I would be surprised if you couldn't blast out a MayDay that was heard. Then again if you are 1 comm on 126.7 maybe not??? A portable GPS is good security.

Important aspect number 1 is to get the plane down safely at ALL costs, doesn't matter how good your survival pack is if you did not survive the impact. There have been several bingles up here that were perfectly executed forced landings and unfortunatley there have been the ones that were not.

C206 into a swamp,
C210 into a roadside scrapping,
C210 into a salt lake,
B58 onto a road,

in all of the above assistance was fairly quick, however the pilots managed to get the aircraft down safely.

Now if you look at the above 4 scenarios what survival gear would you want if you were not found immediatley?

1. Water is probably not that important, INSECT REPELLANT a must, and the standard in the survival pack. Although naked flames probably not a good idea as you are probably sitting on the wing to scared of crocs (i would be).

2,3,4. Everything that was mentioned above.

So basically the standard survival pack works, just adapt it to the local area you will be flying. Dersert = sub zero temps, swamps = mosquito plauges, rivers = crocs (not much ya can do about that)...

HA...