PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Homophobia towards Cabin Crew
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2012, 11:30
Bengerman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First up, I think one should treat every individual on their own merits and not as part of a collective. One can only do that, however, on a personal, one to one basis and obviously not in an emotion free environment like an internet forum.

Second, camp behaviour has been described here as affeminate, which is strange because one simply doesn't see women acting like a camp male. The camp behaviour is exactly that, behaviour. In other words it is a CHOSEN method of acting, there is a choice...just as we all have choices, behaviour is a choice. I have no issue with camp behaviour per say but it can be perceived as negative. I have seen two camp stewards trying desperately to "outcamp" each other on a flight and it was cringeingly embarassing, not funny and made large numbers of passengers visibly uncomfortable.

Next, the gay mafia. There is no doubt that cabin crew is seen as something of a sinecure for gay males, but is this because, for some scientifically unproven reason, gays are particularly good at it? Or can it be that a gay element in a recruitment system tends to lead to a preponderance of like minded recruits? This is quite normal, if I ran cabin crew recruitment there would be a preponderance of gorgeous, bright, funny, tall ladies...it's human nature!

My final ramble is to question whether or not it is simply fashionable, at the moment, to be falling all over ourselves to ensure that every portion of society, whatever their needs and desires, has their full entitlement of human rights? Should felons vote? Should paedophiles be castrated? It appears to depend on what is "trendy" at the time. At one time being gay was perfectly acceptable, at another it is a crime punishable by imprisonment or worse....we seem to be in the former part of thet cycle, but will we stay there?