PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerobatics prohibited with wing tank fuel?
Old 17th Jun 2012, 10:19
Zulu Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the Pitts wing tank is central in the upper wing so relatively easy to gravity feed to the main acro tank.

Low and mid wing monoplanes can't do this as the wing tanks are lower than the top of the mid/acro tank.

I agree that half empty tanks are the biggest problem with surging fuel.

Out of curiosity, how do you handle this then? Obviously planning ahead helps massively, but do you really plan to arrive at your destinations (aeros contest or display) at the precise moment the wing tanks are dry, leaving only the acro tank as reserve/hold fuel/diversion fuel?

Or do you drain the wing tanks when reaching the destination?
I am fortunate that I have almost 2 hrs in the central tank so rarely have to use the wings. If its quite calm I will use the wings until the engine coughs in level flight and then change to the acro tank.
Extras have much less in the acro tank so people often use the wings to ferry to a display. Some people do their display with a few litres left in the wings on the basis that this won't create much fuel surge. Otherwise you need to stop and drain the fuel.

With most aerobatic aircraft you display with low fuel so there is also the problem of getting home so normally you would need to land shortly after the display and refuel.