PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instrument Flying
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2002, 00:00
juggernaut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile IFR

Its my view that PPL students need to go real IFR occasionally to realise the difficulty of staying the right way up. I have noticed that a student wearing foggles will fly perfectly well while simulating IFR conditions but the minute they go into real cloud (even with foggles on) then things go to pieces. The only real way of keeping your hand in is to teach the IMC rating in real conditions, even then its normally the student doing the flying with the instructor only monitoring what is going on, so not of too much benefit to the instructor. Unfortunately JAR CPL no longer requires the IMC rating so fewer people are doing it. Also there are fewer IMC instructors because under JAR an unrestricted FI can do everything a QFI can bar teach IMC. The end result being less IMC students and less IMC instructors. In my club no-one has done the instructors IMC upgrade for a number of years. The expense does not justify the amount of money you are likely to earn back. I foresee a shortage of IMC instructors as a result of these regulations.