PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2012, 00:52
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with bubbers.

I was also very lucky in flying...I read, reread, and reread again "STick and Rudder" by Langweische. In it, his constant refrain was , in trouble? push forward on the stick.

and its important not to say: lower the nose...pushing forward on the stick reduces angle of attack (ok, maybe not in inverted aerobatic flight).

I drummed this into my students and one of my proudest moments was when one of my students came up to me saying he had a near midaircollision with someone at Truckee Airport (near lake tahoe california usa)...the other plane was on the wrong side of the depicted traffic pattern...they were head on converging on base leg. Mind you field elevation is 5900'msl...he avoided traffic , got the stall warning and PUSHED forward even though the mountains nearby were filling the window. an incorrect thing to do would be to pull up to avoid the mountains...but not when you are stalled or near a stall.

He landed safely, having recovered from a stall in a difficult situation.

he told me I saved his life and the lives of his family. I told him to thank Wolf gang langweische, the author of 'Stick and rudder".