PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GATCO Membership
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2012, 20:47
Spamcan defender

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, yes...im a member..

Not a member, offers me nothing that my union membership doesn't as far as I'm aware.

Plus it was shoved down our throat at the college by one of the instructors who was/is big in GATCO. Put the backs of a lot of us up at the time, I think our course was a record in the number of people who didn't join GATCO.

Plus I can always read their magazine when someone else leaves it at work
Couple of things there...
Firstly its a shame that you have been misinformed/not informed of the, rather substantial, differences between Prospect and GATCO. Prospect is NOT a body solely devoted to you as an ATCO or your profession, it represents MANY different professions and ATCOS dont take any priority. It has negotiating rights (with NATS) for talks regarding pay and conditions. GATCO is a professional body which, not only provides professional legal cover and representation to its members, but does a great many things the union does not do.
It has representatives on a myriad of different european and international bodies and is a platform for ATCOS to be heard internationally. The union does not provide this as its not their remit.
Bottom line is union is NOT ATC specific and provides a basic service (LOL) to you. GATCO is something entirely different. There is also a social side to the organisation which, I dont believe, the union has either.
Oh, one more thing which has been mentioned before....you can claim tax relief on your subs as GATCO is a recognised professional body which you cant do with union subs.

Spamcan

Last edited by Spamcan defender; 17th Jun 2012 at 13:24.