PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Historical RAF Uniform Question
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2012, 14:59
BEagle

Received 275 Likes on 111 Posts
Although barathea battledress was an option in the late 1960s, there was indeed an 'aircrew' version which was discotniued before I joined the RAF. It was similar in style to barathea battledress, but had sewn-down epaulattes and zip front pockets, as well as an AVS zip aperture.

I understood that only V-force and Lightning aircrew were entitled to it; the reason for its existence being, so I was told, that the Soviets had said that they wouldn't recognise flying clothing as 'uniform'.

Both 'normal' and 'V-force' barathea battledress were much, much smarter than the awful, shapeless 1972-pattern 'Thunderbird' thing. But even that was better than a V-necked pullover and tie - the last time I'd worn something like that was at prep school!

Anyway - wedgewood blue shirt with proper tie (how appallingly working class it would be to wear a clip-on tie... ), lightweight No 2 trousers with stable belt loops and stable belt, zipped flying boots and shortened aircrew leather jacket - plus a proper officer's SD cap. And to hell with the SWO's blood pressure!