PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Historical RAF Uniform Question
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2012, 14:51
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The zuit suit was classed as a flying suit and intended that high altitude crews, all Mk 2 Vs and the Lightning force would wear it and it was designed with a hole in the trousers for your G-pants and AVS tubes. In parallel it had been decreed that the working dress would be your second No 1 so that we were then given an allowance to buy a second No 1.

It looked most odd the Mk 2 crews on the OCU in '64 all wearing the free zuit suit and the Mk 1 crews in No 1.

We never flew in just a zuit suit but used to carry them in a large valise in case of diversion. By 1969 stocks were exhausted but rumour had it that there were still some in Cyprus. On posting there I hot footed it to stores but they only had one for a 6 foot 4 gorilla weighing over 200lbs. Then only 5-10 and 168lbs I immediately said I'll have it. The Paki tailor did wonders and with KD in the summer that free uniform lasted me until the International Rescue zuit suit came in and that lasted until the woolly pully and the lightweight trousers when the latter came in in 1984.

I never did buy that 2nd No 1 and bought a second hand one from a retiree in 1975. My next one was a Burtons, also from a retiree when I took over his job 25 years later.

Only ever had two SD hats in all my time too.