PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay pacific SECOND OFFICER – ADVANCED ENTRY INITIAL INTERVIEW
Old 16th Jun 2012, 13:39
smurf84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ixg

by the way there is also a good post in the fragrant harbour forums about the functions of a second officer. to be honest that was quite how is it going to be as second officer.
Yes, I was flabbergasted when I read that post prior to my Stage 1 interview. I gave it a long thought (at the same time, 4-5 years as a cruise relief pilot will definitely be a good experience). It's strange I haven't seen any recent posts from Second Officers (about their experiences) who are flying for Cathay Pacific.

The real question - Is it as bad as what it looks like on PPRuNe? All I can see is a planet of negative remarks about the airline, a struggling lifestyle in Hong Kong and Cathay's new recruiting grounds. These remarks come from only 20-30 pilots (and CX has nearly 2500 pilots). What about them?

Yes, Hong Kong is a very expensive city to live in. Plus, with reduced benefits and housing allowances, life can be tough for expat pilots. So the airline says - take it or leave it? Anyway, I'm not getting into this issue which previously got me and some others into a heated debate on the Fragrant Harbour forum.

Im also predicting that the demand for pilots would be less compared to this past few years. what do you think mate?
Oh, I think so too. Three months ago, Dave Hodges and Co. stated that CX was looking to hire 300 pilots in 2012. I reckon the numbers have come down. With the Eurozone crisis, fluctuating ATF prices and the Japanese tsunami which hit Cathay very hard in 2011, it will take time for the airline to display a repeat of 2010. I hope 2013 has good news in store for us.