PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alternator ON or OFF
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2012, 13:06
jas24zzk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breeza,
I disagree about the chrysler alternator point. Why.. I am not going to digress here in public. Happy to pm you about it tho.
----------

As for load shedding, it appears many more owners are replacing their starters with STC'd high torque versions. These starters are even less load critical, so the added load of the alternator field will make little difference.

Whilst I advocate that you can happily start with the alternator switched on, my personal preference is to bring it online during my afterstart checks. It only takes and alternator 30-45 seconds to replace the charge in a battery after start, so i like to bring it online later, so i can observe it doing its job via the amp meter. That way I know its working. I didn't learn this until i did my initial twin rating on Travel-airs.

Procedure taught to me,

Start 1
after start checks
Bring alternator online.
when amps stabilised, start 2.
Funny enough, wasn't taught to take #1 alt offline to check #2 was actually providing some grunt. Might think about that some more.

------------

Lumps

First part of your post makes sense, the second part....you know the bit you put in caps, doesn't.