PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Austrian CAA: FAA licenses remain valid for N-reg in Europe
Old 16th Jun 2012, 12:01
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caution is appropriate; I would not suggest recklessness. If I was reckless I would not have got the JAA IR which took up a significant chunk of 2011 to work through. That paper is not even valid to fly my own plane!

I just don't see this ever working within the framework of how aviation currently operates around Europe. And I've been to a fair few airports...

The best organised ramp checks I know of are ones where the inspector has a standard checklist (obviously prepared by somebody for him) which shows specimen licenses, and he checks for words like INSTRUMENT PILOT if the inbound flight was IFR. Same for medicals, etc. This is all easy stuff, however.

There is no evidence that behind these (very rare) inspections is a whole army of back office workers checking pilot papers with the CAAs of the various countries. A pilot is entitled to be trusted and the presumption is that his papers are not forged. Same with most of the world and its other professions.

The EASA reg elevates the verification to a whole new level of complexity, where no enforcement at all will be possible until some case law is formed, and then the biggest enforcers will be

1) GA pilots' anal willingness to comply with every imaginable current or future regulation (vis. people blowing £30k on an avionics refit to comply with PRNAV)

2) Attitudes of insurance companies

and 2) will be the biggest one, if/when this ever becomes clearer.