PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea Helicopter ditching 10th May 2012
Old 16th Jun 2012, 11:59
HeliComparator

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
lowfat - I can understand that if you work for Bond you are deperate for some absolution. But for the rest of us, learning any lessons is more important than trying to hide them in case they are damning.

If it is any consolation, if I had to put money on it my best guess would be that with the thresholds set as they were, even if RRTR download had been carried out I doubt an amber or red traffic light would have been generated. And anyone who knows about the practicalities of HUMS knows that it is not feasible for engineering to manually trawl through every parameter of every transmission element looking for some unusual trend.

However that is only my guess. If I were Bond I would be nervous about crowing about absolution until it is "official" just in case it turned out to be incorrect. In aviation it is seemly to be open to the possibility of having made a mistake and hence open to learning from it and applying a fix. To have as your first priority a desire to prove lack of blame is I suppose understandable from a commercial point of view but not from an aviation safety point of view.

Despite your feelings about me I do hope that Bond are proven to be absolved, but so far that can only be a hope.