PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA PPL instructors
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2012, 10:36
dont overfil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi xrayalpha,

I agree with some of what you say. Microlights and LAA types are overtaking SEP for flying hours. Going down the instructor route with this type will ensure you are kept busy as there seems to be no shortage of new starts. Probably more lucrative as well. I've certainly scored off the origional plan to do the PPL instructor course for a retirement job.

I however don't agree with your comments about the usefulness of the IMC rating and NQ. If you really want to go places with an aircraft an IMC/IR is essential to get any sort of dispatch reliability. This qualification totally changes the way you fly whether the weather is good or bad. It's not about landings to minimums (usually). It is about cruising in comfort and safety. Contrary to popular belief it makes the flying easier.

As for airfields available after dark you are forgetting Dundee, Inverness, Kirkwall, Stornoway, Islay, Wick, Perth (by arrangement) and Cumbernauld sometimes. There are also active clubs with local agreements on fees which operate out of Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Leuchars and Kinloss.

Most new non commercial students don't have a clear idea what they are going to do when they get their licence. The limitation of what a new PPL can actually do comes as a surprise and unless they quickly add ratings they will get bored with the burger run.

What I am seeing now at Perth is the flying club becoming more polarised. There is a large microlight/LAA contingent who own their aircraft and several owners and groups with IFR cabable aircraft.

As far as I can see even microlight owners need a pretty large capital investment to own an aircraft so lets not kid ourselves this is a cheap option. What is missing is the renters. Where have they gone?

Sorry, drifting off subject now.

D.O.