PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FDP Pairing turnaround times
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2012, 08:35
I-2021

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Actuator,

As far as I know, there are no specific regulatory requirements that will impose you to have a minimum of "x" minutes of turn around time for your specific type involved in charter or line operations. You will establish as an operator these timings, include them in your ops manual and get it approved by your local Authority. Obviously unrealistic turn around times will be rejected as the Authority is there to grant safety which is also your major concern in order to start your operations with the right foot.

This is a simple question.....on what guidelines or by whose rules are the times for turnarounds determinded in order to keep FDP's honest?
It is a mix of many factors together, as the above posters have already stated. Can you realistically turn around your airplane in 15 minutes, all factors considered ? The way you consider these factors is another question, and there is a lot to be added to the mix.

If it was Ryan Air planning a two sector day and the FDP was 13hours 15 mins, (i dont know if that is the legal FDP or not but it does not matter) if the FDP is 13hrs 15 mins and they have a two sector day with 2 x 6 hour sectors can they plan a 15 minute turnaround, given that they must sign on one hour before and sign off 30 minutes after in order to keep the PLANNED FDP in limits at 13hrs 15 minutes.
If they have considered it to be feasible and they got the approval from the Authority then, yes. But that depends on the way they are able to operate. If you want to try the same scenario and you are not able to cope with your scheduling you will end up having a very low index of regularity and punctuality, which will trigger the Authority to keep an eye on you and closely monitoring your ops until they will kindly ask you to modify your schedules.

Again, irrespective of further schedules, pax complaints pilots complaints, etc etc etc on what basis is an operator to determine what turnaround times he may use for planning before running afoul of the law?
The law will simply not allow you to get to that point as the Chapter 7 of your Ops manual related to FDP will not be approved. The decision is simply based on the fact that you will not be able to provide evidence that you can turn around your airplane in the time you have specified.

I hope it helps for your original question.