PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA PPL instructors
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2012, 08:13
xrayalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course, one could look at examples close at hand to see what could be achieved in a safe and affordable manner.

Dare I say "microlights"?

Already, we have had light aircraft training allowed from unlicensed airfields - as was case in microlights.

We have had self-declaration medicals (albeit for NPPL, and now reduced medical for LAPL) - as was the case for microlights.

We are now getting to the stage where you can get paid without having a CPL - as in microlights.

Yet, as far as I am aware, safety has not been compromised.

So, perhaps there is a case for some EASA super PPL for wannabe commercial pilots, with highly skilled, commercial sector instructors.

But for Joe Bloggs, who just wants to fly, the future looks bleak in "Group A" land.

ps. As I say to people who are thinking of learning to fly in Scotland: what do you want from your flying?

You can't fly at night, since the only places open after 5pm in central Scotland are Glasgow, Prestwick and Edinburgh - and Prestwick is the only one you can afford to fly out of, and then you cannot afford to land at Glasgow since they charge £140! So you fly in circles in the dark for an hour - big wow!

Or you want to fly IMC - so you need somewhere like GLA, PIK, or EDI to base - and then it costs a fortune, apart from the need to keep current.

So you are now looking at Day VFR - so why not look at microlights and LAA types?

So NPPL does.

Since the NPPL SSEA is now on the way out, the replacement has to work or you can say cheerio to those students.

Just my farthing-worth (there is an economic crisis on, I can't afford a ha'penny!) from the sharp end.

But there has to be a reason why we are still growing and our competitors are not.