PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enstrom Corner
Thread: Enstrom Corner
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2012, 22:33
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enstrom flying

Ref the current crop of Enstrom queries ... if it helps anyone, it was circa 1974/1975 that I undertook a comprehensive series of test flights to obtain the original CAA/UK public transport certification for the first non-turbo 280 Shark series (G-BDIB) to be imported by my company as the UK/European distributor covering 27 countries. This was followed by the Rayjay turbo 280C 'Shark' (G-BENO) and F28C- 'dash two' in 1976. Then of course the later 225 bhp FX models. So with around six thousand type hours, I'll be happy to help ppruners in any areas where I can.

Yes, as has been said, the early rpm cam correlation is of some help, but it is mostly back to basic manual for general handling. On sales demonstratioin flights, I used the factory PFM quoted method for initial lift-off, ie set circa 2,200 to 2,400 ERPM, (depending of course on lift-off weight, density and W/V) then a straightforward collective lift usually places the rpm in the middle of the green arc (2,875) at a 4 feet skid height hover. This method will invariably require some additional pilot input tho'. Sadly the CAA would not approve the method and the PFM has an additional page requiring ERPM to be set at 2900 which then requires some reverse throttle handling to avoid an overspeed.

And yes too ... the trim system does need to be learned but in training, I used a series of 'trim blips' to achieve the 'hands & feet off' configuration. In that mode, I used to demonstrate turns using weight shift only!!

Enjoy your Enstrom, even the normally aspirated 'C' series Lycoming. The type is especially good looking, is quiet with a cruise speed at 80% power of a whisker over 100 mph, giving 85lbs of fuel burn per hour ... a three hour 'loiter' endurance plus 7 cu ft of dedicated luggage locker space (60lbs weight for the C and 100lbs for the FX) ... has excellent autorotation handling with a HV curve at max auw of 300 feet and 30 mph for the A model. The Enstrom also has a proud record of never having had a fatality in the UK in over forty years of operations ... docile handling with a near aerobatic performance capablity which has twice won the world 'freestyle' championships. In fact when a 1970/1980s Enstrom Shark can be bought for anywhere between £50k and 360k you might ask yourself why anybody buys anything else!

Having said that, MD's latest 500 is still my all time favourite. Dennis K.