PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Historical RAF Uniform Question
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2012, 21:07
AARON O'DICKYDIDO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I signed on as a Boy Entrant in Jan 64 we were issued with 3 shirts and 6 collars. The reversable variety came much later. At some point during the next 18 months we were issued with one collar attached shirt with buttons that came only half way down and it had 2 breast pockets. It was said that they were originally meant for SNCOs but were very unpopular so it was decided to make a general issue of the item. The collar attached shirt could only be worn with No.2 uniform. We also purchased the plastic collars, which I found to be very uncomfortable but were very easy to clean. (3 shirts = 1 on, 1 off and 1 in the wash.

Clip-on ties were never permitted and if caught wearing one it was punishable by being bound up with barbed wire or sent to the tin room for a week. They were easy to spot because we were not allowed to have a Windsor knot.

As BEs our working dress was the old National Service Best Blue - ie Similar to the Best blue style but made of Hairy Mary material and with brass buttons. Stay-bright beret badges were permitted only in No.2 and were private purchase only. We were never allowed stay-bright buttons on our T63.

Aaron.