PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go-around after engine failure in light twin
Old 26th Dec 2002, 15:56
Flight Safety

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go-around after engine failure in light twin

Sorry if this topic has been covered, but a recent accident in my area is bothering me, and I have some questions.

To summarize, the aircraft was a Piper PA-34-220T Seneca, with optional 3 blade props. It departed a North Texas airfield in route to Missouri. An hour out, the left engine failed, and the pilot requested a landing at an Oklahoma airfield, but did not declare an emergency. A witness noted the left prop not turning when the aircraft made what seemed to him to be a fast approach. The witness then noted that about halfway down the 5600 ft. runway at an altitude of 5-10 feet, the pilot applied power to the right engine for a go-around. This aircraft has a max landing roll of 1400ft.

The witness observed the pilot retract the gear and start a shallow climb to about 200agl, but he observed the flaps were still extended. Then the pilot banked and turned left to start a go-around circuit. The witness said that almost immediately after the pilot started the left turn, the aircraft rolled completely to the left, and nose dived right into the ground behind a line of trees, killing all 5 aboard including the pilot's entire family. All 3 props of the left engine were found in the fully feathered position by the accident investigators. The main landing gear was found fully down and locked, and the flaps were found to be fully retracted (???).

So here are my questions. Why did the pilot try a go around at this runway's midspan at 5 ft altitude, when the rollout distance of his aircraft was only 1400ft max? Why did the pilot not declare an emergency? Why did the pilot try a left hand circuit with a dead left engine, instead of a right hand circuit?

There seems to be several things wrong here, but what's bothering me the most is the low and slow left hand turn into a dead left engine. Won't this kill you in a light piston twin? Wouldn't you rather want to turn right instead? Also, what should you do, if you absolutely have to perform a go-around under these circumstances?

What do you guys think?

PS - I forget, the weather was clear afternoon, 10 miles vis, winds 3kts and variable. The temp was 6C, dew point -6C, altimeter 30.35, airfield altitude of 770ft.

(edited to add additional weather data)

Last edited by Flight Safety; 27th Dec 2002 at 22:45.