PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Barry Hempel Inquest
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2012, 05:58
Macroderma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile remember Ian Lovell ???

blackhand

no, I am definitely not part of the aviation establishment, nor am I a doppelganger for anyone.

I do personally know the lady who purchased the so-called "joyflight " for her partner Ian Lovell, after she had made inquiries at the Archerfield aerodrome office and specifically asked them if they could reccomend someone who was reliable and safe.

Apparently the Aerodrome office person told her that Barry Hempel was the pilot for her, and well qualified too.

unfortunately, on the third paid-for joyflight of the day, the one in which Ian Lovell was a passenger, the plane flew or crashed into the ocean killing all on board.

I wonder how the person in the Archerfield Aerodrome office feels about this matter niow?

If I can help to stop this happening again, then so be it.

As you say, "we have a pilot being an absolute pillock, then killing himself and passenger" !

CASA had the power to prevent him flying, I am thinking, but this did not happen?
I am entitled to ask why, especially as he had apparently been reported to CASA more than a few times?

again, I say clearly, I am not attacking or criticising Warbirds or any operators or operator groups in any way.

If we leave aside completely the issue of plane type, Warbirds, operators groups etc, it is still the case that CASA has a role (and I suggest a responsibility) in relation to licencing of pilots and related medical issues.

I am simply saying that if the customer (Ian Lovell's partner) had been informed that Barry Hempel did not hold a CPL, and therefore possibly (?) was not licenced to carry paying passengers, she might well have made a very different decision, and perhaps sought the services of another, licenced operator, or maybe even not have purchased a joyflight at all.