PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DJ Chris Evans
Thread: DJ Chris Evans
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2012, 03:38
abgd

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
On a serious note, I can't see how any relatively busy "celebrity" can stay current enough to fly anything more than a kite.
I'm a bit bemused by that comment: I can't think of many jobs other than being a celebrity, that provide both the income and free time needed to fly regularly. All of my friends in the professions (medicine, law, finance) are worked to the bone.

One of my colleagues recently got a job as a surgical registrar attached to a research institute. He hadn't finished his basic training, but pointed out that he hadn't taken any holiday over the past two years, and had therefore got 2 months more experience than he was due to have at his stage of training. Perhaps this is an extreme case, but I can think of lot of my colleagues who work nearly as hard.

My understanding is that the statistics bear this out - people in unskilled occupations work lower hours than ever before, but professionals are working longer hours than ever before. I suspect this is a big part of why GA is dying out as a hobby. Possibly not so much when it comes to keeping flying, as when it comes to find time for training and ground school.

Perhaps I have an overly rosy view of what being a celebrity involves... But you do hear about actors/actresses having kids in their 20s, which seems rare in affluent areas of the UK.