PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HKG ATC out of control
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2012, 09:33
oriental flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2 cents worth

Okay as far as I am concerned ATC in HKG does a pretty good job. There are some ATC controllers that are much better than others but that applies in all aspects of life.
I have to agree that the climb "to" or descend "to" should NEVER be used by ATC or pilots. I make a point of never using it but ATC HK does on a regular basis .

One suggestion to remove a lot of the frustration .

Any aircraft approaching top of descent should be given descent clearance together with any speed requirements imposed by ATC or use the terminology no speed requirements, this should be done as a matter of standard procedure . As it stands I always have to go back and ask about speed control to plan my descent.
Nothing infuriates more than ATC requesting 320kts or greater in descent only to be told to slow to 220kts not 20nm later. This screws up the descent profile totally and is unnecessary . I understand that there are always unforeseen circumstances that will interfere with aircraft control but surely it cannot happen that often in HK.
Alternatively What about placing some waypoints equidistant from touchdown and instruct each aircraft to cross that fix at a certain time and leave us to sort it out . From there only minor speed or track variations should be required .