PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 NG Descent profiles
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2002, 05:26
Sperm Bank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fatdog, thanks for the intellectual (?) slant on things!

I foolishly assumed the descent winds would have been applied on ALL sectors. So i guess I should aim at the lowest common denominator to make it easier. So point taken, putting some winds in the FMC will help your profile. Nothing else in the FMC will alter the a/c performance that I am aware of!!

Perhaps I should not have said the FMC ALWAYS calculates a 3 degree path, as it can vary from 2.5 to 3.5 depending on the speed, temp, a/c weight etc. However GENERALLY a 3 degree profile is pretty close for a .78/300 kt descent which is what we use down here most of the time. To back that up the 3 times distance -/+ wind corrections is usually pretty close.

Cranking up the speed on descent is fine if you don't have speed restrictions. The airbrake is by far the best option for corrections to flight path in all other cases. If it wasn't the thing would be permanently stowed on the wing excepting RTO and after landing lift dumping! "Horrible device, fairly ineffective and uncomfortable". Now that my learned friend is wrong in my opinion! Teaching that kind of neanderthal thinking (or lack of) to new pilots on type is incomprehensible.

That is my 2 bobs worth. May not be worth that much but I would like to think I am open minded when it comes to learning new techniques etc. Refering to someones opinion as garbage underlines a reprehensible arrogance.

50 Cal , I hope you are enjoying yourself and experimenting with various techniques.