PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No need for R/T at Heathrow ?
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2002, 04:53
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
- the procedures have had the sort of overhaul that Wiley wants.
Just read the new European procedures, Spitoon, and they’re still calling for the non-radio aircraft to maintain cruising level to the initial approach aid, so I’d hardly call them the ”overhaul that Wiley wants”.

Take a look at the Australian procedures and tell me which ones you’d rather follow if you were down to no radios, (or if you’re an ATCO, which system you’d rather have a no-comms aircraft follow to more QUICKLY get rid of him).

I hear what those of you who are ATCOs say about the still unresolved problem of the cround agency losing radio comms from your end, and I agree 100% that the potential for ummm.. ‘difficulties’ is high in such a scenario.

But let me repeat again, purely from the perspective of an individual aircraft losing comms, why in the world don’t they publish an emergency phone number for each major ATC area so that should such a situation occur one day, there’s an easy ‘last ditch’ channel open to ATC for the no comms aircraft? Could it be that they’re afraid multiple aircraft would be calling Mumbai’s ‘emergency no comms’ phone line every night of the **** week?