PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alligator Airways Grounded
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2012, 02:51
Mach E Avelli

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts
Ethical issues? Sure. But the incoming CP (if he is from outside the organization) can only go on what the Directors or CEO tell him. Usually there is a warm fuzzy feeling at that early stage of the romance. The Operator is often on notice from CASA that they need to clean up their act and getting a new Chief Pilot seems to be everyone's quick solution. Not that they will ever admit this.
Due diligence on the part of the wannabe CP could involve asking around or even trawling Pprune for a "feeling", but short of getting insider info from the Company's financiers, creditors and CASA (which involves yet more ethical problems) there is not much one can do.
My last two gigs I asked to see the Company's most recent CASA audit results. In one case I was fed an old audit from much earlier days, and in the other there were great chunks missing which I only found later.
CASA go through certain motions to 'approve' Chief Pilots but in reality just want a fall guy. Ditto the CEO and Directors - they all want a CP who can paper over the cracks (at no cost, of course) and take the heat if CASA come knocking.
As for training - what training? The Check & Training Manual will be full of high ideals but I have yet to see one fully complied with. Most of these tin-pot outfits grudgingly allow instrument rating and base checks to be done on Company dollars, but only if they are kept to absolutely minimal time. CASA really need to get out more and observe training as it is wrote.
How about it CASA? Pick a candidate and sit in on a full line training programme from day one to final check-to-line. Ensure all those pretty boxes on the form really do get covered before being ticked off.
Then maybe guys would really understand their maintenance reporting responsibilities, systems and performance limitations etc - which brought on this thread in the first place.

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 14th Jun 2012 at 02:54.