Thread: Knee Defenders
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2012, 01:55
Anansis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[peeking above the parapet]
Has he gone yet?
Do you wanna play?
I dare you to write the naughty forbidden 'E' word!

Seriously though, this is an age old debate which has no right or wrong answer. I find that the best thing to do is to show a bit of consideration to people around you and to employ a bit of common sense. I tend to avoid reclining my seat unless I'm tired and need to rest (i.e. I don't recline it just because I can). Short haul I tend not to bother. Long haul, I always put my seat back fully up during meal times and would never recline until the empty trays have been collected. Cabin crew are usually good at asking passengers to do this anyway. If somebody in front of me reclines before trays are collected, I politely ask them to put it forward until the meal service is finished. People are usually happy to oblige.

If somebody feels the need to recline their seat (apart from at mealtimes) they should not feel guilty for doing so- the person behind can always recline their seat if they want more space. A reclining seat is part of the service they've paid for. If seat pitches are so small that this impacts on the comfort of other passengers then this is an issue they should take up with the airline, not the passenger doing the reclining (I say this both as a 'recliner' and as a 'reclinee'). It's easy to check these stats, and if people started voting with their feet then airlines would soon sit up and take notice.

Of course, if somebody behind me is exceptionally tall I am happy to communicate and compromise. If they start kicking my back I'll be tempted to keep it reclined as much as possible...

Last edited by Anansis; 14th Jun 2012 at 02:17.